Proof of ownership

Sometimes, for example, in order to open a business bank account outside Estonia, you will need to submit documents showing your representative rights for the company.

Requirements for such documentation may vary, so you should consult with the specific authority to whom you need to prove the representative rights.

Here is an overview of how to retrieve documents from the Business Registry and how to get them apostilled. The good news is that e-services enable these actions to be done online too.

e-Business Register

Log into e-Business Register (Commercial Register), open your company card and choose the information you need. You can download information related to yourself free of charge. You can use the e-service to inquire about other companies as well, but in this case, you will need to pay per inquiry.

There will not be any official stamps of the Business Registry. Information on source and time of extraction will be displayed. All inquiries can be printed out or downloaded in PDF format.

Many of these documents can be downloaded in English, however, the English versions are machine translated and purely informative, so for an official translation, you should contact a sworn translator to have the original extracts translated.

Probably the most often needed documents are the Articles of Association, Memorandum of Association and an Extended extract from the commercial register. If you used the standard articles of association with multiple choice options available in the Company registration portal, then this replaces both memorandum and articles of association.

In Commercial Register (e-Business Register), the Extended extract is Valid general and personnel information or The printout of valid information and these both contain your company data and data of the persons related to the company.

You can learn more about accessing public data about other Estonian companies in our blog.


On the extracts from Commercial Register, your personal information will be displayed as full name and personal code. This may cause questions abroad when you need to prove, that person on the passport with date of birth DD.MM.YYYY is the same person with personal ID code XYYMMDDXXXX. Usually explaining that your Estonian personal ID code actually consists your date of birth is sufficient. More information on personal code is available here. If you need additional help on this matter, contact us.


Apostilles can be required for official documents issued in Estonia if they are to be used in another country that has acceded to the Hague Convention. A list of all countries who have joined the Hague Convention can be found here.

As an e-resident, you have convenient access to use e-apostille and thus can get your required documents apostilled without needing to visit a notary office in Estonia. Log into e-apostille with your e-Residency digital ID card.

You can request the Apostille either to a paper document or to a digitally signed document. Depending on which option you choose, you will need to send the documents that need an apostille either by regular mail or upload a digitally signed digital version to the application. You can turn to your business service provider to assist with paper mail. You can also request to receive the apostilled document either in digital or paper form, depending on which one is required.

The notary fee for this action is 22.35 euros + VAT per document. If you request to receive the apostilled document in paper form, an additional fee for mail service will apply.

If you need an apostille to your company formation documents, select “Print-out from the commercial register, non-profit associations and foundations register and commercial pledge register.” The issuing institution or person is Äriregister (Commercial Register). Only original documents or documents translated by sworn translators can be apostilled.


If the country, where you intend to use the document issued in Estonia, is not a party to the Hague Convention, then the document must be legalised. The legalisation service is provided by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

Was this article helpful?
3 out of 3 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request